PDA

View Full Version : Error Code 31... Please help

Binxy69
15-01-08, 07:26 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to Supra's as well.

I recently aquired a tidy 1991 Manual Toyota Supra Turbo from a very nice gentleman called Alan who I beleive goes by the name "shambles" on here.

Well the car was running perfectly, but I noticed the air filter looked a bit gummed up and on closer inspection of the throttle and air intake I found that it could do with cleaning out. So I took off the air filter and AFM, as well as the "3000" tube and the pipe running down to the offside wing. I cleaned them all out with carb cleaner, cleaned the air filter with K&N filter cleaner, and oiled the filter. THen put it all back together.

When I went to start it, it seemed to start fine, but then when it tried to idle it spluttered and stalled. I figured it just had some carb cleaner still in it. So i tried again. It started but spluttered at an idle of around 500RPM, and when throttle is applied even in the smallest quantities it stalled. Next time I tried it started fine, but the engine light came on. It idled fine, but when you apply throttle it came up to around 2500RPM and spluttered. I beleive the ecu was in a "safe mode". To eliminate the chance that carb cleaner was still in it I left it idling for about 10mins. But after resetting the ecu and trying again it did exactly the same thing as b4.

So. After some research I found how to read the error codes (Thanks to JSeaman for the guide archives), and came up with code 31. Evidentally theres something up with the AFM. So I had the afm off, took the sensor out the casing checked it out, gave it another clean (it was suggested that air filter oil may of got in it) left it on the warm boiler for a bit to dry out nicely.

I've just put it all back together this morning, and its still doing it.

I'm lost. And by trying to be thorough and tinker around I've broken my lovely new car :-(

Has anybody got any previous evperience with this, or even any suggestions no matter how mundane.

Many Thanks, Jim Cole

Martin P
15-01-08, 07:35 AM
I think u may have damaged the afm when cleaning it with carb cleaner, also did u remove the efi fuse for 15 mins to reset the ecu and remove stored codes

Binxy69
15-01-08, 07:58 AM
I disconnected the battery for about 10secs, I thought that would be adiquate to reset it, should I try the efi fuse for 15mins as advised then?

supradupra.com
15-01-08, 09:32 AM
Yep, remove the fuse and go have a cuppa, capacitors in the system need time to discharge fully.

As above it's possible the carb cleaner has bu99ered the AFM, it's one of those parts we don't touch unless it's broke kinda thing, you'll only do it the once, after that you remember :yes:

Give the reset a go, if thats not cured it post in the wanted section for an AFM noting the part number written on yours as there are a couple of variations.

Binxy69
15-01-08, 09:50 AM
Ok, many thanks people, these forum really are pricelessly useful.

A new AFM it is, just what I needed after shelling out for insurance lmao.

Gotta love that turbo tho, its all worth it in the end.

Finfon
15-01-08, 10:10 AM
as stu said, make sure you get the coresponding part number as ive been down that road before (not with an afm tho) most frustrating lol

Binxy69
15-01-08, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the advice, the part number is the type 11 one.

Funny thing tho, I just came to the conclusion that my AFM is dead, so i figured I'd take it apart and find out how it works.

I cut around the silicone on top of the AFM module and took the top off, it was wet inside. Wet with carb cleaner, it stank.

So... maybe... with a bit of luck, after its dried out the insides on top of my nice warm boiler, it might work..... U never no... I'm literally on my hands and knees praying to whatever god there might be that it works.

Binxy69
15-01-08, 10:55 AM
Nope didn't work. Looks like I need a new AFM. :-(

Finfon
15-01-08, 11:46 AM
there proper delicate like. well the turbo ones are anyway. gotta be carefull wit them

supradupra.com
15-01-08, 01:59 PM
Im sure someone wioll have one kicking about on here, just post a thread in the "wanted" section of the forum with the part number of your AFM.